Moving and Handling Refresher
Purpose of the Course
DLF Training is CPD-accredited by the CPD Certification Service.
This course is aimed at professional groups with previous moving and handling education.
Professional groups who would benefit from this course
- Occupational therapists
- Other therapy staff, e.g. art, speech and language, play, who have moving and handling responsibilities or supervision of students
- Registered nursing staff with moving and handling responsibilities
Level of skills/knowledge
- Previous moving and handling education at basic level
- Experience of different moving and handling scenarios with varying outcomes
- Experience of care planning and decision making in moving and handling.
- Primary Care Trust
- Social services
- Care home provision
- Community care management
- Private practice associated with community care assessment and management.
- Guided learning
- Self-directed learning
- Skill development
- Increased knowledge base
- Peer review and interaction
- Literature review.
- Explain the importance of reasoned clinical decision making in manual handling
- Demonstrate a problem-solving approach to moving and handling problems in therapeutic settings
- Outline the assessment process and identify risk factors inherent in the development of musculoskeletal disorders
- Perform good practice in moving and handling people while achieving determined therapeutic outcomes
- Understand the importance of psychological factors in moving and handling
- Review their handling skills with peer interaction and support
- Outline the resources available to therapists regarding moving and handling equipment provision and supply
- Appreciate the importance of ergonomics in individually-centred care planning
- Demonstrate capability in personal movement skills
NB for courses involving manual handling, the categories indicated in the Guidance for Physiotherapists in Manual Handling Ch. 4 are used-see http://www.csp.org.uk/uploads/documents/GIMH4CP.pdf